Responsible for management of regulations, standards and flight qualification of Wright products, powertrains and eventual aircraft development and certification. Apply intimate knowledge of Part 33, Part 25 and Part 135 regulations and applicable standards including DO-160G, DO-178C, DO-311A and other industry standards to accomplish Wright program goals. Interact with government regulators in the US and Europe along with airworthiness authorities from aircraft OEM customers and partners to establish flight qualification and certification approaches for Wright technology. Drive changes in regulations and standards with the FAA and industry committees to enable certification of hybrid and electric propulsion systems and aircraft through waivers, deviations and rule changes as needed. Participate in Safety & Mission Assurance (SM&A) planning and execution to ensure safety of flight and human safety. Lead understanding of how the human element is engaged and reacts physically and mentally in a complex system environment, safely and efficiently. Develop and prototype HSI conops for Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP) operation from a crew station point of view to create a simple to use, but powerful approach to exploit revolutionary technology. Primarily responsible for flight qualification, certification and safe operations of advanced Wright products and technologies.
Requirements: Masters degree or equivalent in Aerospace Engineering, Reliability, Safety or other related fields, and typically 10-20 years' related work experience. Experience working in a cross-functional technology and product development team to manage flight deck design, flight qualification plans and safety of the system. Actual commercial flight experience is desired including flight deck operation, safety protocols and operational factors in the air and on the ground. Successful completion of reference and background checks is required.
Requirements for this position include:
- Minimum 10 years of actual professional S&MA experience is required
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Reliability, or Safety is required; Master of Science is preferred
- Experience with the following methods and processes
- Management of application for Part 33, Part 25 and all applicable Part 135 regulations to system design and certification
- Analysis for DO-160G, DO-178B/C and DO-311A standards for flight qualification
- Knowledge of aircraft operations from a flight and maintenance perspective
- Experience with flight deck design and authoring of flight deck philosophy and guidelines documents
- Experience in authoring and managing requirements for powertrain and aircraft certification and flight deck design.
- Management for manned and unmanned traffic strategic deconfliction operations
- Safety experience to ensure FHA, PSSA, Criticality, Design Assurance, FMEA, Preliminary System Safety analysis and safety assumptions identified
- Experience managing projects and flight certification campaigns for electric and avionic systems programs
- Familiarity with NASA Safety and Mission Assurance Processes is preferred
- Experience conducting and managing life-cycle reviews: SRR, PDR, CDR, FRR with government customers if possible
- Will work directly with Sr. Engineers on assigned projects and coordinate external authorities
- Experience participating in industry standards organizations and FAA authorized committees to address gaps in regulations and standards
- Experience authoring government proposals for NASA, ARPA-e and other government agencies
Full-time, permanent, direct-hire position.
This position requires the ability to obtain access National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Department of Defense (DoD) and other government facilities. Access to the facilities requires a background investigation by U.S. Government.
This is an urgent need and we will be able to interview and hiring during COVID-19.
This position is located in the United States and requires ability to work in the United States, but does not require relocation at the present time. Continued maturation of the Wright propulsion system and aircraft may require relocation to the Albany, New York region in the future.
Wright offers a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance
- PTO and paid sick time
- Retirement Benefits
Drug Free Workplace:
Wright Electric is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as
outlined in our policies.