The Electric Machine Design Engineer defines requirements, executes design, conducts analyses, develops prototypes, and tests models. The Engineer also leads and educates other engineers and technical support personnel on electric machines. Wright is looking for electric machine design EEs and MEs.
- Experience in rotordynamics and rotating components such as bearings and gears including conceptual design, detailed design, iterative prototyping, validation, and rollout.
- Deep analytical capability in assessing the stress, lubrication and performance prediction of rolling element bearings and other rotating components.
- Experience with product design constraints, manufacturing techniques and material processing selections in turbomachinery and electrical machines.
- Experience in conceptual design, testing, and validation of full scale rotating machinery incorporating new or experimental technology.
- Experience in conceiving, developing and carrying out experiments in rotating component hardware and transferring component level tests into full scale hardware solutions.
- Electric motor design and development, electromagnetic and mechanical design.
- FEA and simulation development, thermal analyses and prototype build and testing for motor applications.
- Design of permanent magnet, induction, and wound field electric motors.
- Support selection/specification of components such as electrical cable, wiring and related instrumentation, measuring, and monitoring equipment.
- Work with Wright’s cross-functional teams (aero, power electronics, program management) to define electric motor design and sizing to meet relevant requirements.
- Bachelors in Electrical or Electromechanical or Mechanical engineering or a closely related Engineering degree with demonstrated knowledge and/or experience with most of the below requirements or equivalent.
- Minimum (5) years of engineering experience with at least (3) years of experience related to the design of electric machines. (PhD graduate research work may count towards experience).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills- typical and any special related to Electrical Design and troubleshooting/analysis.
Ability to work in a fast-paced, team oriented, Safety First environment.
- AC induction Motors, VFD drives, soft starters – in relation to submersible motors.
- Medium Voltage (up to 5KV) equipment scope and experience.
- Knowledge of Electrical Control Devices, PLCs and Relay Logic circuitry, comprehension and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Switch gears and supply sources.
- Proficiency in electrical parameters measurement, measuring equipment, data acquisition and analysis.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge or demonstrated experience in permanent magnet/induction/wound field design/winding/calculations of motor characteristics such as losses, corona discharge, efficiency, power factor, winding technology, stator and rotor materials/single and 3-6 phase winding/phases/measurement and handling.
- Proficient in motor simulation tools and motor design applications like MotorSolve, Simulink or equivalent.
- Knowledge of motor driven centrifugal pumps and applications.